What is the Difference Between Top-up vs. Super top-up Health Insurance Plan?
Updated On Nov 22, 2023
There is no doubt that a health insurance plan has become an absolute necessity in today’s time. However, there are times when your chosen health insurance plan may not provide adequate coverage. In such a case, it is important to boost your plan with more coverage, and for the same, a top-up and super top-up plan becomes very crucial. So, let’s take us through a blog that highlights top-up vs. super top-up health insurance plans.
Table of Contents
What are Top-up Health Insurance Plans?
In situations where your existing health insurance coverage gets exhausted, top-up health insurance becomes beneficial in enhancing the coverage. With this plan, you will still be eligible to get coverage even if you have exhausted the sum insured threshold. For example, if you have a plan with a sum insured of Rs. 5 lakhs, then with a top-up plan, you will still be eligible for getting additional coverage even if you have already raised a claim of Rs. 5 lakhs. It is however important to remember that if the claim amount exceeds the threshold, only in such instances a top-up plan becomes active.
What are Super Top-up Plans?
A super top-up health insurance plan is no less than a top-up plan, the only difference being that it provides additional financial protection when the total medical expenses exceed the limit and not the claim amount. For example, consider a situation where your base plan provides coverage for Rs. 5 lakhs and you have a super top-up plan of Rs. 15 lakhs. If you have raised a claim of Rs. 8 lakhs, then the base policy will provide coverage for Rs. 5 lakhs, and the remaining Rs. 3 lakhs will be covered under the super top-up plan.
Difference Between Top-up and Super Top-up Health Insurance
A top-up health insurance plan boosts the sum insured once the health insurance claim crosses the threshold limit. On the other hand, a super top-up medical insurance plan provides additional financial coverage if the total medical expenses in a given year exceed the threshold limits. Both of these plans are helpful in providing additional health insurance coverage as and when required. However, a super top-up plan depends on the total hospitalisation expenses and a top-up plan considers the health insurance claim amount.
Why Should You Buy A Top-up and Super Top-up Health Insurance?
Listed below are some of the benefits of buying a medical insurance top-up and super top-up medical insurance plans:
- With increasing medical expenses, you may never be sure of the exact health insurance coverage you would require. This indicates that you should always choose a health insurance plan that provides good coverage or boost it up with super top-up and top-up plans.
- A top-up and super top-up health insurance plan provides an additional sum insured and thus ensures peace of mind. When you have such plans, you can focus more on treatment rather than worrying about medical expenses.
- These plans offer greater coverage for senior citizens at affordable premiums.
- Like all other plans, a top-up and super top-up plan also provides tax benefits as per the Income Tax Act of 1961.
- With these plans, you will be eligible for getting additional coverage at very affordable premiums.
Who Should Buy Medical Insurance Top-up and Super Top-up Medical Insurance?
Here are the different groups of individuals who should buy medical insurance top-up and super top-up health insurance plans:
- Any individual with a lower sum insured should choose these plans to get adequate coverage at lower premiums. Buying a top-up and super top-up plan is more affordable than buying a new plan altogether.
- There is no denying that senior citizens are more likely to be affected by health problems. So, it becomes all the more important for them to buy top-up and super top-up health plans to ensure comprehensive protection.
- Corporate employees should also buy these plans as under their group health insurance plan the coverage offered is generally inadequate.
Now, that you know the difference between super top-up and top-up plans, you should immediately get such plans for yourself and your loved ones. You can also compare some of the best health insurance plans on InsuranceDekho.