Things to Keep In Mind If You Get Pulled Over By The Traffic Police
Pulled over by the traffic police? Read this article to know exactly how to handle the situation.
Getting pulled over by the police while you are driving the car is far from an exciting prospect. However, it does not necessarily mean that you have committed some offence. Often what is being done is simply a routine check by the traffic police. In the event of some sort of offense as well, the situation can be handled in a calm and polite manner.
Here are some tips that may help if you ever get pulled over by the police:
What Documents Can The Police Ask For?
It is mandatory for car owners to keep certain original documents in the car at all times. Here is the list of documents:
- Registration Certificate of the Car
- Pollution under Control Certificate (PUC)
- Driving Licence
- Car Insurance Policy Document
What Rights Do the Traffic Police Have When They Pull You Over?
The following are the rights of the police if they pull you over:
- The traffic police have the right to pull you over in case of suspicion or when they are doing a routine check and see the above-mentioned documents.
- In case of an offense, the officer is allowed to confiscate your documents, but they must provide a receipt for the same. With some offences they also can arrest you, such as driving while intoxicated.
- In cases of suspicion, the police officer can confiscate your license but they must provide you with an acknowledgment for it.
What Rights Do You Have When Pulled Over By The Police?
You can ask them for identification. You can note down their buckle number or ask for their ID if they are not wearing one. In case they refuse to do so, you can also refuse to show them your documents.
- Present Your driving license, but you need not hand it over if you do not want to.
- If the police confiscate your license they must provide a receipt for the same, issued by the Traffic Police Department.
- In case you will be towed, it cannot be done with a person inside it.
- If an interaction turns sour and you feel you were being unnecessarily harassed you can file a complaint about the incident at your nearest police station or online.
- The Challan can be issued only if the police officer is carrying a valid government-issued challan book or an e-challan generator.
- Paying the fine on the spot can be done only if the police officer is a sub-inspector or of higher rank.
- Remember the police cannot force you to step out of your vehicle or take your keys away forcefully.
What Details Should You Check In a Challan Issued By The Traffic Police?
In the event you receive a prosecution slip from the police, double-check to make sure it has the following details:
- Name and other details of the court where the trial will be held.
- Mention of the offense
- Date of trial
- Name, address of the offender
- Signature and name of the officer issuing the challan
- Mention of any other documents required.
Conclusion: How to Behave When Pulled Over By the Traffic Police?
In case you are pulled over, remember to stay cool and composed. Pullover to the spot, turn the ignition off and roll down your window. Remember to be polite and respectful. If you have made no offence there is nothing to worry about. If there was an offence made, follow the rules and pay the fines, there are no exceptions in that case. Click here to read more on new traffic rules.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.