What is Coma?
Coma is a prolonged state of unconsciousness, during which a person is unresponsive to their environment. There are several causes of coma, some of which include diabetes, lack of oxygen, seizures, stroke and traumatic brain surgeries. It may last for a single day or even years, depending upon the severity of the case.
- Tax BenefitUp to 75000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Coma is a partially dead state that leaves the affected person immobile and devoid of most senses. The condition may last for a single day or even years, depending upon the severity of the case. IRDA (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) defines a coma in simple terms as a state of unconsciousness, without any reaction or response to external stimuli or internal needs. The illness can be diagnosed in the following cases:
- When the patient gives no response to external stimuli in a continuous stretch of 96 hours
- When life support measures become mandatory to survive
- When the patient undergoes a permanent neurological deficit. It could be assessed after minimum of 30 days of onset of coma
- When the condition is confirmed by a specialised medical practitioner
Causes of Coma
Coma can be caused due to many types of problems. Some common causes of coma are listed below:
- Traumatic brain injuries: These are generally caused due to an act of violence, traffic collision, etc.
- Stroke: A stroke leads to a reduced blood supply to the brain the reason for which may be a burst of blood vessels or blocked arteries.
- Diabetes: People with diabetes may suffer from too high or too low sugar levels. It can cause a coma.
- Tumours: Tumors in the brain can also cause coma.
- Lack of Oxygen: People suffering from a lack of oxygen in the brain can also suffer from a coma. For instance, someone who has been rescued from drawing or someone who has been resuscitated after a heart attack may suffer from a coma.
- Seizures: Seizures may cause coma.
- Infections: Infections like meningitis and encephalitis lead to swelling in the brain, tissues that surround the brain or spinal cord. These infections may cause brain damage or even coma.
- Toxins: Someone who is exposed to toxins like lead or carbon monoxide can lead to brain damage and coma.
- Alcohol and drugs: An overdose of drugs or alcohol may also lead to coma.
Symptoms of Coma
Some common signs and symptoms of coma include the following:
- Irregular breathing
- Closed eyes
- Limbs showing no response (except reflex movements)
- Depressed brainstem reflexes like pupils not showing any response to light
- Body not responding to painful stimuli, except reflex movements
Treatment of Coma
Coma is a serious medical emergency, the treatment of which depends on the extent of the illness. In case someone is diagnosed with the illness, he/she must immediately be rushed to the hospital as delay may worsen the situation. Doctors, after examining the airway of the patient, can help regulate the ventilation to circulation, can provide blood transfusions, breathing assistance, and other supportive care.
Treatment of coma may include the following:
- In the case of hypoglycemia, intravenous injection of glucose may help
- In case of overdose with an opioid, intravenous injection of naloxone may help
- In case of a blood clot between the brain and its lining, surgical treatment may help
- Antibiotics can help in case of an infection.
Critical Illness Insurance Plans For Coma
A huge cost is involved in the treatment of a coma. Therefore, it is recommended to have a critical illness insurance policy that covers medical expenses arising due to the coma of a particular severity, thereby reducing financial stress during difficult times. A critical illness insurance policy provides the insured a lump sum amount in a single transaction in case he/she gets diagnosed with a critical illness. This means a critical illness insurance plan will not only protect you against medical expenses arising because of coma, but also against several other illnesses such as cancer, deafness, stroke, kidney failure, deafness, etc.
At InsuranceDekho, you will find several critical illness insurance policies from multiple insurers that cover coma. These include Digit’s critical illness insurance policy, Max Bupa Criticare plan, ManipalCigna Lifestyle Protection Critical Care plan, and Reliance Critical Illness policy. The best part is that the insured need not only use the amount received from the insurer for the care and treatment. Instead, it can also be used to pay off any debt(s), avail treatment on a foreign land, or to make up for the loss of income due to the illness. With these policies, you can also enjoy tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961 for the premium paid for them.
Why Buy Critical Illness Insurance For Coma Online at InsuranceDekho?
InsuranceDekho offers you a quick, transparent, and smooth buying process. The portal allows you to buy critical illness insurance plans for coma within a few minutes at affordable premiums. You just need to visit the portal (www.insurancedekho.com) and enter a few details as asked. You can also use InsuranceDekho’s health insurance premium calculator to compare and analyse different health insurance quotes in order to select the most suitable one as per your budget and requirements. Some more benefits that you can avail if buying critical illness insurance plans online at InsuranceDekho are:
- Quick issuance of critical illness insurance plan for coma
- Multiple health insurance quotes for coma from popular insurers
- Complete guidance at the time of purchasing policy
- Post policy purchase assistance from customer care executives
- Assistance at the time of claim settlement
- Flexible modes of payment offered
- Online premium calculator to compare and analyse several critical illness insurance policies for coma
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Health Insurance Coverage Calculator
Who do you want to insured ?
Age of eldest insured member ?
Where do you live ?
*Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Health Insurance Companies
- Niva Bupa Health Insurance
- Care Health Insurance
- Magma HDI Health Insurance
- National Health Insurance
- United India Health Insurance
- New India Assurance Health Insurance
- Liberty Health Insurance
- Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
- Cholamandalam Health Insurance
- Oriental Health Insurance
- Future Generali Health Insurance
- Digit Health Insurance
- SBI Health Insurance
- Bharti AXA (now ICICI Lombard) Health Insurance
- Reliance Health Insurance
- Tata AIG Health Insurance
- Navi Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
- ICICI Lombard Health Insurance
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance
- Raheja QBE Health Insurance
- Universal Sompo Health Insurance
- Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
- Zuno Health Insurance
- HDFC ERGO Health Insurance
- ManipalCigna Health Insurance
- Star Health Insurance
- Acko Health Insurance
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Variety Of Health Insurance Plans
Health Insurance Terminologies
Learn more about coma Health Insurance
- Choosing best health insurance policy may save your money during critical medical treatment. From a variety of health insurance plans in the market, choosing the most suitable one for you can be a tiresome task. This article contains details of best healt
- Want to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lockdown? Here are a few things you can indulge in and utilize your free time in a perfect manner.
- Understand the importance of health insurance claim settlement ratio. View list of 10 best health insurance companies with fast claim settlement process.
- Looking for health insurance with pre-existing disease coverage? You are at the right place! To uncover your options, continue reading.
- Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. Read here to know best plans that offer dental insurance cover in India.
- Buying cashless health insurance policy is the need of the hour. The article explains 5 best cashless health insurance policies in India. Read here.
- Want to save yourself from out-of-pocket medical expenses? Buy health insurance with OPD cover to make the most of your medical investment. To know why and how, read along.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting period. When buying health insurance with PED cover, every individual should look for waiting period to make the ideal choice. To know more, read along.
- OPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know the key benefits OPD Expense Coverage in health insurance.
- Health insurance plans for senior citizens are designed to help seniors during their golden period of life. Read about the 5 best senior citizen health insurance plans here.
Best Insurance Advisors in Your City.
FAQ About What is Coma?
Why should I purchase a critical illness policy?
A critical illness insurance policy offers you and your family financial protection on diagnosis of a critical illness, for instance, coma. The policy offers you a lump sum amount which you can use for recuperation aids, to pay off debts, for cost of care and treatment, for a change in lifestyle due to the illness, or loss of income due to the illness.
What are the other illnesses that critical illness policies cover me for?
Apart from coma, critical illness insurance policies cover you for other illnesses also that include paralysis, stroke, deafness, kidney failure, cancer, heart attack, major organ transplant, amongst others.
Can I avail tax benefits on the premium paid under a critical illness insurance policy for coma?
Yes. You can avail tax benefits on the premium paid for critical illness insurance under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Can I make multiple claims for the same or different illness under a critical illness insurance policy?
No. You can make only a single claim under a critical illness insurance policy.
Which documents will I be required to submit in case of a claim under a critical illness insurance policy?
In case of claim under a critical illness insurance policy, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Duly filled claim form
- Discharge summary in original
- Relevant treatment papers/consultation note
- Medical reports and invoices related to the treatment
- Original hospital bills
- Pharmacy bills and prescriptions
- Other documents that may be required by the insurer
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
Health Insurance News
Want to save taxes? Explore the best tax savings schemes oth...30 November 2023
Explore the world of Religare Health Insurance with our guid...23 November 2023
Health insurance premium is the amount you pay to get covera...22 November 2023
Health insurance plans, like other goods and services, incur...21 November 2023
Find out all about ICICI Lombard health plans and their bene...07 November 2023