What is Kidney Failure?
Kidney failure, also known as end-stage renal disease, is the last stage of chronic kidney disease. Common causes of kidney failure include heart attack, severe burns, severe dehydration, anaphylaxis or a severe allergic reaction, liver failure, use of aspirin, etc. Risk factors for kidney failure include cancer, heart failure, etc.
- Tax BenefitUp to 75000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
The function of the kidneys is to remove waste from the bodies, and also to balance fluids. When the kidneys lose the ability to perform this function, it is known as kidney failure. Chronic kidney disease refers to a longstanding illness involving the kidneys which progresses over time and leads to failure of the kidneys, or renal failure. Conversely, acute renal failure refers to a sudden loss of functioning in the kidneys. It means that the kidneys are suddenly unable to filter waste products from the blood, meaning that the levels of waste start to accumulate at dangerous levels. The blood’s chemical makeup then gets out of balance.
Causes of Kidney Failure
There are a variety of diseases and scenarios as well as risk factors that may lead to acute renal failure or kidney failure. The common causes are as follows:
1. Impaired Blood Flow to the Kidneys: This can be caused by a variety of factors:
- Liver failure
- Use of aspirin, ibuprofen or related drugs
- Anaphylaxis, or a severe allergic reaction
- Severe burns
- Severe dehydration
- Heart attack
- Heart disease
- Blood or fluid loss
- Blood pressure medications
2. Damage to the Kidneys: Damage to kidneys can be caused by a variety of circumstances, for example:
- Blood clots in the blood vessels surrounding the kidneys
- Cholesterol deposits in blood vessels, blocking blood flow to the kidneys
- Certain medications
- Toxins such as alcohol or cocaine
- Muscle tissue breakdown
- Breakdown of tumour cells
3. Urine Blockage: Factors that may cause blockage of urine include:
- Damage to the nerves that control the bladder
- Bladder cancer
- Blood clots in the urinary tract
- Enlarged prostate
- Kidney stones
- Prostate cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Colon cancer
Risk Factors for Kidney Failure
In addition to these three main causes of kidney failures, there are also certain risk factors that can make someone more susceptible to it. Kidney failure usually occurs in conjunction with another medical event.
- Advanced age
- Heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
Prevention of Kidney Failure
Preventing kidney failure involves the following steps:
- Be careful about drugs taken over the counter. Painkillers or other similar medicines are taken too frequently may lead to kidney injury, and thus the labels should be read carefully before consuming them. Always consult a doctor about the medicines consumers as the risk to kidneys is even higher in the case of a chronic illness like diabetes.
- Prioritise healthy lifestyle changes such as a balanced diet and avoidance of alcohol and other toxins.
Treatment for Kidney Failure
Kidney Failure or ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) does not have any cure. However, there are ways with which to prolong life, and many patients of ESRD live long and fulfilling lives with ESRD. The treatment options are dialysis or kidney transplant, following which it is very achievable to live a long and fulfilling life.
Health Insurance Plans for Kidney Failure
Keeping the risk factors and the treatment options in mind, it is important to avail of health insurance that will fulfill the coverage you need in case of a critical illness such as kidney failure or End Stage Renal Disease. A popular critical illness insurance plan that offers coverage for dialysis expenses and thus is ideal for kidney failure coverage is Future Generali Critical Illness Insurance Health Plan, which provides an insurance sum up to Rs. 20 lakh. HDFC Ergo General Insurance also offers an insurance plan namely its HDFC Ergo Critical Illness cover which will offer coverage in case of critical illness such as kidney failure, and others depending on the package that you opt for.
Why Choose InsuranceDekho for an Insurance Policy for Kidney Failure?
When it comes to critical illnesses such as kidney failure or ESRD, InsuranceDekho provides access to a wide range of policies that allow the policyholder to choose between a variety of coverages. It is extremely simple to purchase a policy through InsuranceDekho, where the process is paperless and completely seamless, saving you valuable time and effort and ensuring your peace of mind as you will be able to purchase the coverage you need. Other benefits of purchasing a health insurance policy for kidney failure through InsuranceDekho include:
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Health Insurance Coverage Calculator
Who do you want to insured ?
Age of eldest insured member ?
Where do you live ?
*Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Health Insurance Companies
- Niva Bupa Health Insurance
- Care Health Insurance
- Magma HDI Health Insurance
- National Health Insurance
- United India Health Insurance
- New India Assurance Health Insurance
- Liberty Health Insurance
- Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
- IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
- Cholamandalam Health Insurance
- Oriental Health Insurance
- Future Generali Health Insurance
- Digit Health Insurance
- SBI Health Insurance
- Bharti AXA (now ICICI Lombard) Health Insurance
- Reliance Health Insurance
- Tata AIG Health Insurance
- Navi Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
- ICICI Lombard Health Insurance
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance
- Raheja QBE Health Insurance
- Universal Sompo Health Insurance
- Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
- Zuno Health Insurance
- HDFC ERGO Health Insurance
- ManipalCigna Health Insurance
- Star Health Insurance
- Acko Health Insurance
Disclaimer: InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
Variety Of Health Insurance Plans
Health Insurance Terminologies
Learn more about kidney failure Health Insurance
- Choosing best health insurance policy may save your money during critical medical treatment. From a variety of health insurance plans in the market, choosing the most suitable one for you can be a tiresome task. This article contains details of best healt
- Want to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lockdown? Here are a few things you can indulge in and utilize your free time in a perfect manner.
- Understand the importance of health insurance claim settlement ratio. View list of 10 best health insurance companies with fast claim settlement process.
- Looking for health insurance with pre-existing disease coverage? You are at the right place! To uncover your options, continue reading.
- Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. Read here to know best plans that offer dental insurance cover in India.
- Buying cashless health insurance policy is the need of the hour. The article explains 5 best cashless health insurance policies in India. Read here.
- Want to save yourself from out-of-pocket medical expenses? Buy health insurance with OPD cover to make the most of your medical investment. To know why and how, read along.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting period. When buying health insurance with PED cover, every individual should look for waiting period to make the ideal choice. To know more, read along.
- OPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know the key benefits OPD Expense Coverage in health insurance.
- Health insurance plans for senior citizens are designed to help seniors during their golden period of life. Read about the 5 best senior citizen health insurance plans here.
Best Insurance Advisors in Your City.
FAQ About What is Kidney Failure?
What is the critical illness insurance cover for kidney failure?
Critical illness insurance for kidney failure is a benefit based policy that covers you for various contingencies related to kidney failure and other critical illness also as specified in the policy.
How do critical illness plans for kidney failure work?
Critical illness plans for kidney failure provide you with a lump sum amount in the diagnosis of the critical illnesses specified in the policy. You can use the amount as per your own choice, be it for recuperation expenses, paying off debts if any, for children’s education expenses, etc.
How to buy critical illness cover for kidney failure?
To buy critical illness cover at an affordable premium online at InsuranceDekho, follow the steps given below:
- Visit www.insurancedekho.com. Then click on the Health tab.
- Select Gender. Then enter your Name and an active Mobile Number. You will receive an OTP on that number. Kindly enter that.
- Select the time when you wish to buy the policy. Click on ‘View Instant Quotes’. Add family members under the policy if you want to, and select their age. Then click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter your Email ID and City. Click on ‘Submit and View Quotes’. Choose the most suitable policy from the quotes on your screen.
- Select the policy period for which you want to buy the policy and enter the required details. Pay health insurance premium online.
Why is a critical illness plan for kidney failure important?
The treatment of kidney failure costs around Rs. 20,000 per month in a private set up and there are a few government hospitals that offer this service. Getting a critical illness insurance policy that covers expenses related to kidney failure saves you from these expenses. So, it is imperative to timely buy one.
Why should I buy a critical illness insurance plan for kidney failure?
There are many benefits offered under a critical illness plan for kidney failure. It offers you more than just hospitalisation expenses and covers you against many critical illnesses apart from just kidney failure. These include coma, cancer, stroke, etc. Keeping into consideration the rising medical costs, it is recommended for all to get a critical illness policy.
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
Health Insurance News
Explore the world of Religare Health Insurance with our guid...23 November 2023
Health insurance premium is the amount you pay to get covera...22 November 2023
Health insurance plans, like other goods and services, incur...21 November 2023
Find out all about ICICI Lombard health plans and their bene...07 November 2023
Find out all about the different ways in which you can retai...24 October 2023