Janashree Bima Yojana
It is a life insurance scheme specifically designed to offer life insurance coverage to individuals who are marginally above or below the set poverty line.
- Tax BenefitUp to 1,50,000**
- Claim SupportEveryday 10AM-7PM
- 45 Lacs+Happy Customers
*Standard Terms and Conditions Apply.
**Tax benefits are subject to changes in Income Tax Act.
Janashree Bima Yojana
Janashree Bima Yojana was launched by both the Life insurance Corporation and the Central Government together on 10th August 2000. This insurance scheme is sponsored by the government and is devised to offer life insurance coverage to both urban and rural people, who are below and marginally above the set poverty line.
The introduction of this scheme has replaced Rural Group Life Insurance Scheme (RGLIS) and Social Security Group Insurance Scheme (SGIS). Presently, under this scheme coverage is offered to 45 different occupational groups.
Who Can Apply for Janashree Bima Yojana?
To stand eligible and avail Janashree Bima Yojana insurance plan, an individual needs to meet the below-mentioned criteria:
- A person should be aged between 18 years to 59 years.
- The minimum size of the membership needs to be 25.
- The person has to be a member of any occupation or vocational group approved by the nodal agency.
- The person needs to be marginally above or below the poverty line.
Key Features of Janashree Bima Yojana or JBY
We have listed below some of the key features of Janashree Bima Yojana:
- Janashree Bima Yojana is a government life insurance scheme that was started together with the LIC.
- The premium paid under this insurance plan per individual is Rs. 200.
- This insurance scheme is designed specifically to target individuals, who are below or marginally above the poverty line.
- Around 50% of the premium is paid by the state government or nodal agency (it can be self-help groups, panchayats, NGOs, or other institutional agencies) or an applicant. While the remaining 50% is paid by the Social Security Fund.
- A unique service is provided to the members of the female self-help group under this insurance scheme. It assists them in the education of their children by offering Rs. 30,000 for a year.
What are the Benefits Offered Under Janashree Bima Yojana?
Some of the benefits offered to the beneficiary under Janashree Bima Yojana is as follows:
- A beneficiary is entitled to receive Rs. 30,000 in the event of natural death.
- In the event of permanent disability or death because of an accident, the compensation provided is around Rs. 75,000.
- For any partial disability because of an accident, the amount offered is Rs. 37,500.
List of Different Groups Covered Under Janashree Bima Yojana
The following groups are covered under Janashree Bima Yojana, who fall marginally above or below the poverty line category:
|Agriculturists||Physically handicapped self-employed persons|
|Brick kiln workers||Papad workers attached to SEWA|
|Anganwadi workers and helpers||Carpenters|
|Beedi worker||Coconut processors|
|Fishermen||Earthen toy manufacturers|
|Plantation workers||Printing press workers|
|Powerloom workers||Scheme for urban poor|
|Manufacturer of paper products||Rural poor|
Workers in companies manufacturing chemical products such as candle
|Workers in rubber and coal-producing companies|
|Construction workers||Primary milk producers|
|Safai karamcharis||Firecracker workers|
|Cobblers||Workers in companies manufacturing food items, such as sugar|
|Workers in salt producing companies||Handloom weavers|
|Rickshaw pullers/auto drivers||Hilly area women|
|Toddy tappers||Handloom and khadi weavers|
|Rickshaw pullers/auto drivers||Tendu leaf collectors|
|Handicraft artisans||Forest workers|
|Women associated with SHG||Workers who are involved in the manufacturing of food products|
|Leather tannery workers||Transport karamcharis|
|Workers who are involved in the manufacturing of leather products||Sericulture|
Special Schemes Under Janashree Bima Yojana
Some special concessions are offered to the applicants under Janshree Bima Yojana other than the insurance coverage. These are:
Shisksha Sahyog Yojana
This plan offers coverage to only specific children and their parents must be a member of Janashree Bima Yojana. Children in classes 11th and 12th are offered Rs 600 as scholarship every 6 months. It is offered to just 2 children per household.
Under this scheme, various benefits are offered to female participants. Term insurance offers coverage of Rs. 30,000 for a year. The beneficiaries are required to make a payment of Rs 200 as a premium. But, the female members pay Rs 100 and the remaining amount is met by LIC.
Health Insurance Calculator
Whom do you want the insurance for ?
Select the age of all members
Where do you live ?
Choose required Coverage for yourself?
Health Insurance Companies User Reviews
Why to Buy Health Insurance Policy Online from InsuranceDekho
- Tax benefit upto 75,000*
- Claim support everyday 10AM-7PM
- 50 Lacs+ happy customers
Buy Critical Illness Health Insurance
Variety Of Health Insurance Plans
Health Insurance Terminologies
Learn more about janashree bima-yojana Health Insurance
- Choosing best health insurance policy may save your money during critical medical treatment. From a variety of health insurance plans in the market, choosing the most suitable one for you can be a tiresome task. This article contains details of best healt
- Want to know how to spend time at home during coronavirus lockdown? Here are a few things you can indulge in and utilize your free time in a perfect manner.
- Understand the importance of health insurance claim settlement ratio. View list of 10 best health insurance companies with fast claim settlement process.
- Looking for health insurance with pre-existing disease coverage? You are at the right place! To uncover your options, continue reading.
- Purchasing dental health cover brings along many benefits. Read here to know best plans that offer dental insurance cover in India.
- Buying cashless health insurance policy is the need of the hour. The article explains 5 best cashless health insurance policies in India. Read here.
- Want to save yourself from out-of-pocket medical expenses? Buy health insurance with OPD cover to make the most of your medical investment. To know why and how, read along.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions comes with a waiting period. When buying health insurance with PED cover, every individual should look for waiting period to make the ideal choice. To know more, read along.
- OPD Expense Coverage in Health Insurance Policy: Get to know the key benefits OPD Expense Coverage in health insurance.
- Health insurance plans for senior citizens are designed to help seniors during their golden period of life. Read about the 5 best senior citizen health insurance plans here.
Latest Health Insurance Articles
Find out the differences between Care and Star health insura...17 October 2023
Know all details related to World Thyroid Day 202319 May 2023
With COVID-19 pandemic spread far and wide, and the scenario...02 January 2022
Omicron is delivering a loud and obvious message that this...01 January 2022
A health insurance policy is a must for all senior citizens ...04 December 2021
Best Insurance Advisors in Your City.
FAQ About Janashree Bima Insurance Scheme
What is the coverage period offered under Janashree Bima Yojana?
The coverage period offered under the Janashree Bima Yojana is 1 year.
I am 39 years old. Am I eligible to apply for Janashree Bima Yojana?
Yes. To apply for Janashree Bima Yojana, an individual needs to be between the age group of 18 years to 59 years.
Is the Janashree Bima Insurance Scheme exempt from Goods and Service Tax (GST)?
Yes, Janashree Bima Yojana is exempt from GST. This is because the government wants to encourage and improve participation of people.
Is JBY or Janashree Bima Yojana, a scheme offered under life insurance?
No, under this insurance scheme financial assistance is provided even if there is partial or permanent disability because of an accident.Thus, this scheme is not just limited to offering coverage in case of death of a person.
When was Janashree Bima Yojana launched?
Janashree Bima Yojana was launched by the Government of India on 10th August, 2000.